Friday, July 30, 2010

An Interview with Designer Harry Daniell

Harry Daniell is a working designer in NYC. He recently participated in Grange’s Runway to Room event. We decided to find out more about him!

www.harrydaniell.com




How did you choose your design after learning about Runway to Room?

HD: In being intimately tied to designing my own organic clothing line, I have a clear understanding of how I see the clothes in concept and reality. I thought it would be an interesting learning lesson for me, to help further my thoughts on my clothing line, by creating the surroundings that best map to my inspiration: Horse Country by Harry Daniell.

What creative/brainstorming process did you use in creating your room?

HD: I love Grange furniture and have a catalog in my head of many of the items at Grange. Having purchased items for clients and leveraged Grange desks and chairs at a recent event I stylized for Architectural Digest, I knew exactly what pieces I wanted to start with. Those pieces, including the floor lamp, game table and leather chairs were the starting point for my creative process. In picking the area of the showroom I wanted to stylize, I thought that there was no better place than the existing modular library system that was already installed; those brilliant pieces of furniture became our canvas. After that, the rest was easy....

What do you typically use as inspiration for your designs (i.e. art, fashion, etc.)

HD: My inspirations for my designs vary by the client, project and requirements. Being that my style is ever changing based on the aforementioned requirements, I don't like to limit myself to just one type of inspiration. The world of design is endless -- the inspirations and possibilities should be as well.

How did you decide to get into interior design?

HD: It was an extremely organic process for me. I started in the world of finance, wound up in front of the camera as a model and eventually landed in the field of design.

How long have you been working in the industry?

HD: I have been in the industry for seven years.

What is the most important lesson you have learned through your experiences?

HD: Be it a residential or commercial project, it is most important for me to listen carefully to my clients. Listen first, design second.

What trends are you currently seeing in interior design?

HD: One of the biggest trends I've noticed is the increased use of the color grey -- be it in a kitchen, bathroom, living room or bedroom, there are so many hues of grey that it works aesthetically anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment